The new year is here and lot’s of us set New Year’s resolutions. Have you ever thought about setting some small resolutions that will greatly help keep things in check around your home? Most don’t think of pest control during the cold winter months but just because we cannot see or hear any critters, does not mean that they are not present. Here are a few small things you can do around the home this winter to get a jump start on those pests and to prevent spring infestations.
- Secure your home: If you haven’t already then now is the perfect time to inspect the exterior of your home for any gaps or holes. If any are found be sure to use the proper sealant to exclude any pests from entering. Be sure to look in those hard to reach areas too such as behind cabinets and don’t forget to check for any drafts around your doors or windows.
- Tidy up the yard: Now is also the perfect time to get a head start on your spring chores by making sure all leaf litter and wood piles are cleaned up. Don’t forget to store any firewood at least 20 feet from the home. These areas create a warm shelter area and the closer to the home, then the more likely you are to have a pest problem.
- Eliminate Clutter Indoors: Pests such as spiders and rodents will make themselves at home if there is plenty of clutter to choose from. The best thing to do is to cut down on the clutter inside especially in areas such as the basement, garage and storage areas. By doing so you’ll get a head start on potential pest problems and jump-start that spring cleaning!
- Don’t leave food out: Overwintering pests may not be too active during the winter but they certainly will be ecstatic to stay in common areas of your home where dirty dishes may be. If you cannot get to your dishes right away, be sure to leave them in a sink full of soapy water to keep those unwanted pests away.
- Monitor for pest activity: Finally the best thing to do is continually monitor for pest activity. Even with the cold temps, your pest control needs to stay active during the winter months. Just like house cleaning, the longer you go in between visits then the harder it is to get the job done.
This year be sure to include general home maintenance into your New Years resolutions which will improve the overall quality of life for you and your family and aid in deferring those pests away from your home.
The best way to address any of these issues is to contact a pest control professional. And if you had any pests that were able to sneak their way into your home, Cadet Pest Control will get you on the right path to a pest free home.